Top News Stories
Planned Parenthood health centers in Peoria, Pekin and Bloomington this month added services for transgender patients. Peoria Public Radio’s Cass Herrington reports members of the transgender community welcome the news, but say there’s still a void in the treatment that’s available: Darcia Ostling started her transition six years ago, “From who I was into who I am, who I truly am,” Ostling said. At the time, Ostling didn’t have a car. She’d take time off work, pack a suitcase and hop on a...
Local News - Latest Stories
The V&E Simonetti Historic Tuba Collection in Durham, N.C., is the result of an obsession that grew one oom pah-pah at a time.Vincent Simonetti started playing tuba in high school in the 1950s – and it was love at first puff."And I would draw it in study hall. I'd draw pictures of it. I don't know why. I just became obsessed with it," he says.He and his wife, Ethel, used to run a tuba exchange that sold sousaphones, euphoniums and other members of the tuba family to high school bands. Now...
Latest News from NPR
- California Lawmakers Approve Mandatory Sentencing For Rape
- Gonorrhea Is Becoming Untreatable, U.N. Health Officials Warn
- Cannabis Growers Seek Blue Ribbons For Their Buds At Oregon's State Fair
- For Some African-Americans, Efforts To #BuyBlack Present Challenges
- When The U.S. Backs Gay And Lesbian Rights In Africa, Is There A Backlash?