Top News Stories
A Morton man has received the Carnegie Medal for his heroic action in 2015. 77-year-old James Vernon intervened between a knife-wielding man and a room full of children at the Morton Public Library. The Army Veteran and retiree was teaching a chess class when 19-year-old Dustin Brown entered the room with two knives, shouting his intent to kill people. Sandy Rassi, whose kids were present, helped get the 16 children out of the room. She says, "Jim was phenomenal in just talking with the young...
Rebeca Gonzalez grew up eating artichokes from her grandmother's farm in the central Mexican state of Tlaxcala. But for years after emigrating to the U.S., she did not feed them to her own kids because the spiky, fibrous vegetables were too expensive on this side of the border. When she prepared meals at her family's home in Garden Grove, Calif., Gonzalez would also omit avocados, a staple of Mexican cuisine that are often costly here. "I saw the prices and I said, 'No, never mind,' " says...
- Restaurant Workers Rise To The Challenge Of Helping Each Other With Substance Abuse
- Gymnastics Doctor's Victims Speak, As Simone Biles Says She Was Also Abused
- Mormon Church Names Russell M. Nelson As New Leader
- 8 Congressional Chairmen Are Calling It Quits. Here's Why And What It Could Mean
- Students Across D.C. Graduated Despite Chronic Absences, An Investigation Finds