Top News Stories
Gov. Bruce Rauner has threatened to reject a plan extending the funding mechanism for the state's 911 call centers, saying proposed fee increases are too high and the plan is loaded with other things.
Miller Park Zoo in Bloomington may be one of the smaller accredited zoos in the nation. It's a leader, however, when it comes to preserving several species of animals that are threatened or endangered. The zoo currently is helping some 20 species survive, including the snow leopard, the red wolf, and San Clemente Island goat. It is a breeder for about 50 kinds of animals to insure they don't become endangered. Among them are: the sumatran tiger, tammar wallaby, the red-ruffed lemur and the...
The type of siding or "cladding" used on the Grenfell Tower in London — and suspected of feeding the massive fire that killed dozens of residents — is not allowed on the exterior of tall buildings across most of the U.S. But a few states and the District of Columbia have relaxed their building codes in recent years and have started to permit the material's use. The cladding installed on Grenfell Tower as part of a 2016 refurbishing project has become a focus for investigators. NPR's Frank...
- What Does It Take To Move A 10-Story Tree A Couple Of City Blocks?
- PHOTOS: Here's How Muslims Worldwide Are Celebrating Ramadan's End
- For Besieged Marawi Residents, A Brief Respite Ends In Gunfire
- These Teachers Are Learning Gun Skills To Protect Students, They Say
- Inside French Prisons, A Struggle To Combat Radicalization