Chicago Police Officer Who Killed 2 Now Under Investigation for Fight

Jan 5, 2018

A Chicago police officer fighting for his job after he fatally shot a teenager and a woman bystander in 2015 is under investigation for his role in a restaurant fight last month.

Police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi says that Robert Rialmo was stripped of his police powers after the fight.

The latest news comes after a police disciplinary body last month informed Police Superintendent Eddie Johnson the shooting was unjustified and that Rialmo should be fired. The department is reviewing the recommendation.

Rialmo made national headlines when he fatally shot 19-year-old Quintonio LeGrier and 55-year-old Bettie Jones.  Rialmo has said he fired at LeGrier because the teen swung at him with a baseball bat. But the disciplinary body found no evidence that LeGrier swung the bat at Rialmo.